Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Carts are Coming, the Carts are Coming....

Well, we pulled into a Walmart in Ironwood, MI. We were settling in nicely having a delightful dinner when all of a sudden, we heard a loud crash and it sounded like someone had crashed into our tow car. Lee and I ran outside only to find that a Walmart Grocery Cart had slammed into our coach (it was very very windy yesterday.) Thank goodness it didn't scratch or dent our coach but it hit us so hard that it shattered the lug nut protective covering on two of the lug nuts. Thank you Guardian Angels for looking out for us.
After we recovered from that shock, we hoped that we would not have any repeats of runaway Walmart carts attacking us in the middle of the night. Wouldn't you know that because of a heavy storm with very strong winds in the middle of the night, Lee looked out our window and noticed that all the carts were being brought into the building. Thank you..thank you...thank you..apparently the wind was whipping up something awful with rain last night (of course, I slept through it!!)
Well morning came way too fast for us and Lee tried the start the generator only to find our batteries had a "fair" charge. He used the auxillary button and got the generator started and told me that we will have to find an RV Service Center so we can replace some of our batteries. As we traveled on Route 2 again towards our next stop, Crookston, Minnesota, I found an RV Service Place in Minot, North Dakota which would be a good place to stop. Tomorrow morning we will call over to see if they would have time to help us. There is another Walmart or possibly a campground where we can stay overnight in that area.
On the road today, we saw quite a few little towns. It was pretty uneventful. There were two interesting places which I could not capture on film, but I have to tell you about. First, we passed by a place called Grizz Works which had a tremendous assortment of handcrafted wood animals and other object for sale. Of course, the name Grizz, caught my eye but before you knew it we had passed it by and couldn't take a picture.
The other sign which caught my interest was one that said Pottery and along side it it said See Barb's Jugs. Well, that brought a chuckle to Lee and me and I told him I would talk about it in my blog. And I did.
We arrived in Crookston, MN for the night. Wish us luck tomorrow so we can have the coach taken care of so we don't have to stay two nights in Minot, ND.

3 comments:

Rosanne said...

Hey, guys. Loved the pics of the Grand Hotel - so jealous you got to go there! Sorry about the generator problems and hope the good people of Minot MN got that fixed today. Happy travels tomorrow - I hope!

Scott Young (Hall's Storage) said...

I knew I should have come with you guys just to work on the coach! You probably have replaced the batteries already but I was wondering if the water may have been low in the batteries or maybe there is a bad or corroded connection. 6 volt golf cart batteries should have a 7-10 year life. Other than this and the Direct TV box and hub cap, it sounds like you are enjoying your trip. Have fun
Scott

Unknown said...

wish you the best for your coach tomorrow - Know the feeling of parking at Walmart with the carts. Glad no scratches or dents. Went to Mackinac Island with my girls - cold and windy - rough waters going and coming back. High 70's - one couple is here for the rally so far - Bob & Donna Gorsche - they bought lot 2. Riverbend Rally is here this week. Did kick boxing in the clubhouse - reminded me of water areobics with Fran when she does that. Take care - Hugs Marge